Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Apples Baked In Brown Sugar: New York Edition


To all the chicas and chicos in my life: it's true, this papí moved to town a week ago. And it's about time I started blogging.
I'm living in Brooklyn's Sunset Park for the next two months - a place where you can go from hola to nihao to xin chao and back all in the space of a couple of blocks. Eclectic and diverse, with a side of flavorful grit, this is going to be my hood. A stroll through the actual park affords a view of lower Manhattan, Jersey City, the water and none other than the Statue of Liberty -- this is prime property, but let's just hope the hipsters don't find out or out goes much of the down-home ethnic eats. A Vietnamese banh mi (sandwich) place just down the street transports me back to the streets of Hanoi for only $4.00. I have a feeling I'm going to like it here.
I've been getting into the groove of living in Brooklyn - perhaps a little too comfortably. I've been hitting up gourmet grocers, snobby I-know-more-about-coffee-than-you-do cafes and vintage shops like I've been living this life forever. Needless to say, it might be the end of me ... and my wallet.

Dulce de Leche from Court Street Grocers (Cobble Hill); Grapefruit & Smoked Salt Jam and Pickled Okra from Green Grape Provisions (Fort Greene)

Though it might sending Abe's flying out of my pocket, taking control of my diet has been one of the most liberating parts of living an 'adult' life. Finding myself near Chelsea Market, I stopped by and waded through the tourists to go to the fruit and vegetable store - expensive, but the quality is top notch. I picked up a mango, an asian pear and some figs -- fruits that I couldn't even dream of in Driscoll. And all in season and delicious.
In my little time here I've also dropped in on some great New York dining gems. My friend Pinsi and I visited the Brooklyn Pharmacy and Soda Fountain before indulging the in the cinematic buffoonery that is Hangover II. The Brooklyn Pharmacy is an adorable '50's style place for egg creams and cherry lime rickeys, done up with hipster flair (what else could you expect for Brookyln?). This morning, after a run with my roomie/brother-by-a-cappella Eben up to Gowanus, we undid all the exercise by making our destination Four and Twenty Blackbirds, an incredible place for, say, Salted Caramel Apple, Lavender Honey and Lemon Chess pies, baked fresh every morning. What a way to start the day. And of course, at the Mexican place around the corner, where a hunk-o'-burrito costs six bucks, you leave satiated, satisfied... and slightly gassy.
Here's to a summer of great food and wonderful finds! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment